Moving is always chaotic. No matter how much you sugarcoat it, it’s a difficult pill to swallow; a really major event in your life. Whether moving locally or cross-country, it ends with boxes full of stress and pandemonium.
We want to help ease your mind! Donation Movers compiled a list of costly mistakes, do-nots, blunders, and how to avoid them:
- Not being organized. Avoid this by creating a binder. Sit down and write a checklist for each room. TIP: Things left off a list will get forgotten!
- Trying to do it all yourself. Avoid this by asking friends and family for help. TIP: Booking online with Donation Movers!
- If you’re not getting help with packing, don’t wait until the last minute to start. Plan to start packing at least two weeks before the move. TIP: Starting your packing early will take some of the chore out of the process.
- Be sure to have plenty of packing boxes and supplies. TIP: Over-estimate your needs! Too many boxes is better than too few!
- Anything that is not needed or wanted anymore, does NOT need to be packed. Create a donation box for things you no longer need. TIP: Donation Movers will be happy to take this box on the day of the move.
- Packing heavier items in large boxes. Pack lighter weight items in large boxes and use size-appropriate boxes for the larger items. TIP: Ask Donation Movers if you have any questions!
- Not labeling boxes. Avoid this by labeling each packed box with handling instructions, the contents, and the room it will go into after moving. TIP: Keep plenty of markers on hand.
- Packing too much too early. Remember to leave out items you will use daily, including medications, toothbrushes, toys, and pet food. TIP: Pack and label an “essentials box” with medicines, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Packing items that cannot be moved by the moving company. If you aren’t sure, check with Donation Movers. Some items, like gun safes and pianos, require special handling.
- Forgetting to transfer utilities and forward mail. Avoid this by contacting these companies at least two weeks prior to your move. TIP: Try to stop your service on the last day at your old home and start services at first day of your new home.
By planning ahead and following these simple recommendations, you can ease your “moving headaches” substantially! Don’t forget to get your online quote and book with Donation Movers!