Congratulations! You’ve finally found that perfect home! Now comes the dreaded realization: You’ll have to move. The moving process can seem overwhelming, but we’ve got some helpful tips for moving success. So let’s get to the 10 Things You Need to Do for a Successful Move:
- Create a moving binder. This can be printed out and placed in a binder or set up as a Google Doc. Being organized will save you time in the long run. Place your room-by-room inventories in here.
- Research moving companies, at least three, and get quotes. Don’t forget to read the reviews. Start with Donation Movers, where you can request a quote and book online!
- Make sure you have enough packing supplies. Supplies to consider for your move: Tape, utility knife/scissors, markers, bubble wrap or newspaper. TIP: Overestimating your supply needs are a good idea. Boxes fill quickly.
- Start packing early! Start with the items you are less likely to use before moving day.
- Label. Label. Mark each box with the contents and the room where it belongs after the move. Make sure to mark sensitive items with FRAGILE.
- As you pack, make sure to declutter items you no longer need. Sell or donate these items.
- Use smaller boxes for heavy items and larger boxes for light items. Try to not leave empty spaces in your boxes. TIP: Pack towels, wash clothes and dish towels in these spaces.
- When combining boxes, remember to first place bubble wrap/newspaper/blanket on the bottom of the box, place heavier items on the bottom and separate each layer with bubble wrap/newspaper.
- If moving expensive art, TV’s or wardrobe, ask the moving company if they have special boxes or crates you can purchase for these items.
- Pack the bathroom(s) last. Organize a separate box for each
And don’t forget: Packing is a lot of work. Don’t do too much in one day. It is very easy to get swept-up in packing but doing too in much one day can cause a slowdown, which won’t benefit you in the long-run. Remember to get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and relax: It will all come together.